Career Fairs Resources
- Cover Letter
- Elevator Speech
- Decide Your Major
- Graduate School Prep
- Job Search Resources
- Personal Statement
- Thank You Letter
Best Practices on How to Network Effectively:
- Update your Handshake Profile. Handshake is the #1 place for UND student to search for jobs, internships, interviewing opportunities, and events, and to find ways to connect with employers. You don’t want to miss information about an info session or event!
- Create a profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is another great resource to find jobs, and connect with former alumni and employers through a personalized messaging system.
- Do an informational interview! Call up a person in your career field of interest and ask for a 15-20 minute information interview over coffee! That conversation can turn into an internship down the road and you’ll learn something in the process.
- Job Shadow! There are many job shadowing opportunities out there. Walk in someone’s shoes for a day and see what their typical day looks like.
- Always follow up with an email and/or personalized invitation to connect on LinkedIn. When you meet with a recruiter at a career fair, information session, or listen to a presentation at a conference, follow up with a personalized email or LinkedIn invitation stating where you met that person, what you learned from that interaction, a little about your background, and how you would appreciate any advice or suggestions on how to gain experience in the field.
- Get involved on-campus and within the community! Getting involved in clubs and organizations, as well as volunteer activities can connect you to employers and opportunities in the real world. Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself and have a conversation with anyone!
- Use that elevator speech you’ve been practicing! ( See Elevator Speech section for details ).
- Follow UND Career Services on our social media (as we post position openings and opportunities)! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn @UNDCareer.