- Cover Letter
- Elevator Speech
- Decide Your Major
- Graduate School Prep
- Job Search Resources
- Personal Statement
- Thank You Letter
Handshake is the number one place for UND students and alumni to search for jobs and internships. Log in today and explore!
Setting up your Profile
- From the “For You” page, click on your name at the left.Update the Education section to reflect other schools you may have attended, your graduation date for UND, GPA, etc.The job and internship search pulls from this information.
- Under Organizations/Extracurriculars, add all relevant information.
- Choose Skills at the right.
- Add a bio if you’d like.
- Upload a current resume, unofficial transcript if you choose, etc.
- Connect to your LinkedIn Account and other social media – just be aware of what you have posted on those.
- Add relevant coursework and additional coursework that shows breadth.
- Projects are important – let employers know what you have been working on.
- Click the “Jobs” tab at the top of your page.
- Select the type of job you are searching for from the options circled in blue. Please note, at this time Work Study and other part-time UND jobs are not listed on this site.They can be found at UND Student Employment. Internships at UND, however, can be found on Handshake.
- Narrow down your results by using filters including location, industry, and job function.
- Under “Filters,” select “Employer Preferences” to compare details from your profile (i.e. Majors, School Year, Graduation Date, US Work Authorization and GPA) to jobs that exactly match those specifications. Be sure you have all the information completed to use this feature.
- Make sure to favorite jobs/internships as you review them. View those favorites from the link on the “For You” page or on the “Jobs” page.
- Save the defined search and receive email alerts whenever an employer posts a job that meets that criteria by selecting “Create Search Alert”on the right hand side of the “Jobs” page.
- Do research on employers by going to the “Jobs” tab and selecting “Employers” from the blue bar across the top.
- Under the Jobs tab, in the blue bar across the top, select “On-Campus Interviews.”
- See what’s available that matches your profile.
- Search for or select the company you would like to interview with
- Most companies only allow you to sign-up for an interview after a pre-selection process. If you are selected, you will be able to sign-up for a time on their interview page.
- Find Career Fair information
- Register for events
Report an Experience
- Report your “experience” (co-op/internship/other) by selecting Career Center at the top right of your page and use the dropdown function to select Experiences.
- From the Experience page you will select Request an Experience and fill out all fields.
- Select Create Experience to submit the experience for approval
- Important next step: If you are taking the experience for credit, you must complete the Objectives tab on the top menu. (Some faculty require you to create and discuss these objectives before you formally enter them here.)
- Once completed, Career Services will take it from there.
You’ll find quick links to Starfish (for making an appointment with our staff), information about cover letters, practice interviews, resumes, CV’s, networking, the job searcher, references, etc. Check it out!
- Select Career Center at the top right of your page and use the dropdown function to select
Not Noticing Your Emails From Handshake?
Check your clutter and junk folders…and check them often. That’s where a lot of the Handshake emails are going.
You can train your Clutter folder. All you need to do is move your Handshake message from there to your inbox. In addition, you might want to consider turning off your clutter folder. Follow the directions here: https://bit.ly/2IFR7aM.
Handshake Tip: check your “notifications” often right in Handshake. These are located under your profile name in the right corner.
Please post any part-time, full-time and internship positions on Handshake.
If you have any questions, please contact our office at 701.777.3904 or UND.careerservices@UND.edu.
Thanks for thinking of UND students for your hiring needs!
Spring due dates for student and employer co-op/internship evaluations:
Midterm: March 1
1st email: February 15
Reminder emails: February 22, February 25 and February 28
Final: April 26
1st email: April 12
Reminder emails: April 19, April 22, and April 25