- Explore Options
- Residence Life
- Dining Services
- About Us
- Self Service
Qualifications & Benefits
Eligibility Requirements for the Position
- In order to be eligible to apply for a Resident Assistant position, applicants must be enrolled in twelve credits (undergraduate) or nine credits (graduate) of residential/on-campus course work at the University of North Dakota at the time of application and must be able to demonstrate at the time of application that they are able to successfully earn 30 credit hours (Sophomore class standing) by the start of their employment with UND Housing. For students who are studying abroad at the time of their application for an RA position the department will verify that, for the semester immediately preceding the applicant’s semester abroad, the candidate was enrolled in twelve credits (undergraduate) or nine credits (graduate) of residential/on-campus course work at the University of North Dakota.
- Sophomore class standing or above (30+ credits completed) as of May 15, 2018 when credit hour checks are conducted.
- Available entire academic year.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher as of May 15, 2018 when grade checks are conducted. A student staff member must maintain at least a 2.75 cumulative and 2.75 semester GPA during every semester of employment.
Students applying who have already earned a UND GPA but who do not meet the 2.75 GPA criteria when grade checks are done in January will automatically be removed from the process.
First year students are allowed to apply for the position, even though they will not yet have a UND GPA until January. However, grade checks will be done in January, and if a first year student did not meet the GPA requirement during their first semester they will automatically be removed from the process.
All staff hired will have their grades checked prior to starting in the position and every subsequent semester they are employed.
- At the discretion of UND Housing, applicants must be in good standing with the University, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs & Diversity and not be in violation of the Student Code of Student Life. An applicant can have no active or unresolved violations of the Student Code of Student Life or any incomplete judicial sanctions (ex. community service hours, alcohol or drug education courses to complete, restitution, etc.)
- As a security sensitive position, applicant must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check administered through the University.
- A strong commitment to helping other students in a residential setting including availability and approachability.
- Appreciation of and interest in different viewpoints, cultures and life styles.
- Personal attributes of maturity, honesty, self-reliance, motivation, initiative, openness, creativity and enthusiasm.
- Academic Year RAs are not permitted to hold any employment outside the RA position during the first semester of their employment. (Outside employment may be allowed during subsequent semesters if evaluations indicate a satisfactory work performance. However, due to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requirements, non-resident aliens are limited to work a maximum of 20 hours per week and, therefore, are not permitted to hold outside employment (other than their RA position) at any time during academic sessions throughout their employment as an RA. )
- Applicants must be in good financial standing with the University. All student staff members are expected to meet payment for tuition and fees. Please note that salary earned in this position may affect student financial aid.
RESIDENCE LIFE STUDENT STAFF MEMBER COMPENSATION INCLUDES:
- $550.00 monthly stipend*
- A single room for the duration of employment (valued at approx. $3,636 per contract period), assuming that occupancy demands allow. Please be aware that UND Housing retains the rights to assign roommates to student staff members whenever necessary to accommodate the number of contracted students who require space on campus.
- Invaluable leadership and lifelong friendships
- Opportunities for advancement
- Personal development and transferable skils for future work experience.
*If, for any reason, the student staff member leaves their position before the end of the agreement period, their stipend amount will be prorated based on the final date of employment.