- Apply for Graduation
- Graduation Checklist
- Academic Regalia
- Graduation Products
- Related Events
- Grad Expos
- Congratulations Message
The UND Policy on Academic Regalia was approved in 2017.
Your transition from student to professional is something that deserves to be recognized. Your formal commencement regalia represents your dedication, as well as honor of being a UND graduate.
- Caps, gowns, and tassels for undergraduate candidates are available for purchase at the Graduation Expo June 27 or on-line at Herff Jones until July 3rd. Undergraduate gowns, mortarboards and tassels can be purchased and picked up at the University Bookstore located at 775 Hamline Street anytime prior to graduation.
- Graduate students can rent UND-custom gowns, hoods, cap/tam and tassel from Herff Jones or at the University Bookstore. Orders can be placed at the Graduation Expo on or on-line by June 27. After June 27, you can rent regalia through the University Bookstore until July 12. Any regalia rented after this date will be charged a $25 late fee.
UND has selected the following tassel colors to designate its academic divisions:
|College of Arts & Sciences|
Drab (light tan)
|College of Business & Public Administration|
Black and White
|John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences|
|College of Education & Human Development|
|College of Engineering & Mines|
|School of Law|
|School of Medicine & Health Sciences|
|College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines|
|School of Graduate Studies|
Undergraduate candidates wear the tassel on the right side of the cap until they cross the stage; upon stepping down from the stage, the tassel should be moved to the left side of the cap. Master's and doctoral candidates wear their tassels on the left side of the cap throughout the ceremony.
Regalia for undergraduate candidates is available for purchase at the University Bookstore or can be ordered from Herff Jones until July 3rd.
The color of the lining of the hood worn by recipients of graduate degrees indicates the institution which confers the degrees. UND hoods are lined in pink with a green chevron; the trim of the hood indicates the degree or discipline.
|Master of Arts||M.A.||White|
|Master of Accountancy||M.Acct.||Drab (tan)|
|Master of Education||M.Ed.||Light Blue|
|Master of Fine Arts||M.F.A.||Brown|
|Master of Engineering||M.Engr.||Orange|
|Master of Music||M.M.||Pink|
|Master of Business Administration||M.B.A.||Drab (tan)|
|Master of Public Administration||M.P.A.||Peacock Blue|
|Master of Occupational Therapy||M.O.T.||Kelly Green|
|Master of Environmental Management||M.E.M.||Golden Yellow|
|Master of Physician Assistant Studies||M.P.A.S||Kelly Green|
|Master of Public Health||M.P.H.||Salmon Pink|
|Master of Science||M.S.||Golden Yellow|
|Master of Science in Applied Economics||M.S.A.E.||Golden Yellow|
|Master of Social Work||M.S.W.||Citron (greenish yellow)|
|Specialist Diploma||Spec. Dipl.||Light Blue|
|Doctor of Nursing Practice||D.N.P.||Apricot|
|Doctor of Philosophy||Ph.D.||Dark Blue|
|Doctor of Education||Ed.D.||Light Blue|
|Doctor of Arts||D.A.||White|
|Doctor of Physical Therapy||D.P.T.||Kelly Green|
|Doctor of Medicine||M.D.||Kelly Green|
Academic attire (regalia) for all master's and doctoral candidates can be rented through the Herff Jones website. Payment will be required when the regalia is ordered.
- DOCTORAL DEGREE STUDENTS:
- Rent a UND-custom gown, hood, tam and tassel. The doctoral gown is black with green trim and a UND seal on the front panel. The tam and tassel are yours to keep.
- Regalia will be available for pick up at the University Bookstore after July 28.
- Bookstore hours are from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., M – F. If you aren’t able to pick it up during that time, please make arrangements for someone else to do.
- Remember to bring your regalia with you to the Commencement ceremony Friday, August 3rd. You will wear your gown, cap and tassel during the procession and will carry your hood. You will carry your hood to the stage and be hooded by the Dean and your advisor.
- Following the ceremony, staff from the University Bookstore will be stationed in the lower level of the Chester Fritz Auditorium to collect your gown and hood. The tam and tassel are yours to keep
- Rental cost for a full doctoral regalia package is $155.60.
- If you are interested in purchasing UND-custom doctoral regalia, contact Darin at the UND Bookstore at 701.777.4980. The price to purchase UND-custom regalia is $705.10.
- MASTER’S DEGREE STUDENTS:
- Rent a UND-custom gown, hood, cap and tassel. The gown is black with green trim and a UND seal on the front panel. The cap and tassel are yours to keep.
- Regalia will be available for pick up in the University Bookstore after July 28. Bookstore hours are from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., M – F. If you aren’t able to pick it up during that time, please make arrangements for someone else to do so.
- Remember to bring your regalia with you to the Commencement ceremony December 14th. You will wear the gown, hood, cap and tassel throughout the ceremony.
- Following the ceremony, staff from the University Bookstore will be stationed in the Alerus Center Ballroom to collect your gown and hood.
- Rental cost for a full master’s regalia package is $118.30.
- If you are interested in purchasing UND custom master’s regalia, contact Lisa at the UND Bookstore at 701.777.4980 for prices and ordering information.
The Herff Jones website for purchasing undergraduate apparel is open until July 3rd. UND custom regalia for graduate students can be rented on-line until midnight June 27. After that date, you can go to the UND Bookstore to make purchases. Rental orders must be placed through the University Bookstore by July 12. After the deadline, you will be charged a late fee.
How to Wear Your Regalia
Wear a black bachelor's gown, cap, and tassel in the color of your academic college.
Wear a black master's gown, cap, black tassel, and UND master's hood in the color of your academic discipline or college.
Wear a black doctoral gown, cap or tam, black tassel, and UND doctoral hood lined in the color of your academic discipline or college.