Apply to Honors: February 1 Priority Deadline
When applying to Honors, make sure to do your research to learn about the program and how you'll fit in the environment. Your essay and application will be just as important for getting accepted to the program as your GPA and ACT/SAT score.
Changes for Fall 2018
Starting in the Fall 2018 semester, you'll now be able to choose from two distinct tracks that give more flexibility to pursue what you're passionate about. The two tracks focus on:
- Students looking to enter graduate or medical school. Choose this track if you're looking to pursue graduate, medical or law school and want coursework and mentoring that will prepare you to get accepted to top schools.
- Students who want to be leaders in their community. Choose this track to get hands-on service learning experiences, make connections with the region's movers and shakers, and network with community leaders.
Tips for Honors Applicants
Do Your Research
We encourage you to explore our website to learn more about the the program to which you're applying. Do some thinking about how you'd fit in and craft your application accordingly.
We don't need to know every award you've received since the sixth grade. Include just your most relevant and significant accomplishments.
Don't Turn Your Essay into a List
We can read your accomplishments and activities in your application form. Use your essay to draw out ideas that can't be gleaned from a resume alone. We want to see how you think.
We read tons of essays, all written by strong, capable students. How do you stand out? We want to hear your voice and get a sense of what makes you distinct.
Proofread Your Essay
Did we really need to remind you?
New Student Honors Application
The new student Honors application is only for students who HAVE NOT earned college credit AFTER graduating high school (regardless of college credit earned during high school). You must be admitted to UND before applying to the Honors program.
- Once you're admitted, you'll start the application process by logging into the VIP@UND page.
- You'll use the same username and password you used to complete your UND admissions application to log in.
- Once you log in, click the application link under the Honors Program Application section in the upper left column of the page.
- You'll be asked for additional information to complete your Honors application, including your academic interests, achievements and essays. We'll consider the entirety of your application, so please take time to craft thoughtful, well-written responses.
- We recommend working on the questions in a Word document and then copying them into the application when you're done, as the application can't be saved or submitted until it's complete.
Current or Former College Student Application
Honors is happy to have students who enter our program with post-high school college experience, either from UND or another institution. We can work with you individually to help you participate in Honors and/or complete an Honors degree. We are a flexible, student-centered program, and we can make accommodations to compensate for your previous college coursework.
If you'd like to discuss the possibility of joining Honors, please contact:
If you're ready to apply, please fill out the application form for transfer students. Honors students are expected to maintain a 3.2 GPA once enrolled in Honors, and we prefer to see students doing similar work before they join.