A-Z Change/Forgot Password Current Students Faculty/Staff Guests and Affiliates Preceptors and Proctors Prospective Students
You Make a Difference Every Day
A man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A boy was picking them up and gently throwing them back into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”
“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and thousands of starfish? You can’t make a difference!” After listening politely, the boy picked up another starfish and threw it back into the surf. Then smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference to that one."
Original story by Loren Eisley
Stay Informed, Stay Connected, Stay on Track
Starfish is a tool that provides an efficient way to quickly offer coordinated support to all students ensuring they receive the right type of assistance/intervention to keep them on track.
Personal, searchable success network
Online scheduling (when set up by faculty, advisors, & staff)
Kudos for activity within or outside of a course
Course alerts throughout the semester including Early Alerts and Midterm Deficiency Notifications
Success Plans allow advisors and staff to document the road map a student should take to achieve their goals
Use Starfish to Succeed at UND
Information for Students
The main goal of Starfish is to help you engage and stay connected with your faculty, advisors, and other staff you are working with. It provides comprehensive tools for students to connect with the University of North Dakota resources. It gives faculty a way to track student progress throughout the semester to ensure the right people are able to intervene when needed.
Make an Appointment through Starfish
If an individual has made times available for you to schedule through Starfish, you can schedule an appointment by following the instructions below (click the link).
Change an Appointment
Upcoming appointments will be listed on your Dashboard in the time line view (left column). Click the edit icon (a picture of a pencil) to modify the appointment or the cancel icon (an X) to cancel it. If you do choose to cancel an appointment, please do so as far in advance as possible so that slot can be used by another student.
Tool Tip Sheet
Setting up your profile
Set up your Profile
Begin by setting up your student profile. Your profile lets instructors and advisors know who you are and how to contact you. It also gives you control over how you wish to receive messages from Starfish.
1. Click your name in the top left corner of your Home page to and then select Profile.
From here, you can customize your profile by uploading a photo and choosing settings for appointment reminders.
2. If you'd like to receive text messages in addition to emails, click here for instructions.
3. Once you have made your desired changes to your profile, click the Submit button to save your updates.
Using your Dashboard
Click on your name in the top left corner of your Home page and then select Dashboard.
Your Dashboard displays upcoming appointments and date-based tasks on the left to help you plan your week. The right hand column of your Dashboard highlights items that require your attention and may include alerts related to your class work, recommended referrals to campus support offices to help you succeed, and Kudos from your instructors.
My Success Network/Services
Connect to people who can help you
The My Success Network, and Courses channels display the people and offices that are available to help you succeed. Here you can find key contact information as well as links to web sites and online appointment scheduling.
My Success Network
Click the My Success Network icon on your Home page to display your personalized connections. The Your Connections channel lists the people and resources that are available to assist you.
You can browse a broader list of available services within Your/Other Services, right below Your Connections. For each person or service listed you will find contact information, supporting websites, and, if online scheduling is enabled, a link to make an appointment. If a service includes a waiting room for walk-in appointments, you can click the “Waiting Room” link to find out how many students are currently in line.
You may request help from a variety of offices around campus. Click on the Request Help button on your dashboard and follow the instructions.
Click the Courses icon on your Home page to display information about the courses you are enrolled in, including contact information for your instructors.
Click the Messages icon on your Home page to display messages sent to you in Starfish. Click on any message in the list to display the full contents of that message. These messages were also sent to your UND email and to any alternate address you added to your profile.
The Plans tab, within the left-hand side navigation panel, will display any customized Plans created for you by your advisor or other support staff. This might include an Academic Plan or a more targeted plan for a set of specific tasks with due dates. Click the View Details button associated with a plan to display a printable version of the plan.
Receiving Text Messages
Twice during the semester, instructors have the opportunity to alert you about any concerns they have about your course performance:
- Early Alert (between the 3rd & 4th week)
- Midterm Deficiency (by the end of the 8th week)
If flagged with a concern you will recieve an email identifying the concern and providing resources to assist you:
What if I can’t see a link to schedule an appointment?
Contact the office or individual directly. The Schedule Appointment link will only be visible for individuals who have set up online appointment scheduling.
When I try to schedule an appointment, I can’t select a reason.
Appointments are only available to students who are in a specific relationship with individuals. If you can’t select a reason, it’s because you are not in the right relationship with the individual for that appointment. In most cases, this will be because the appointment is only available to students who are assigned to that particular academic adviser. In these cases, the appointment should not even be visible to you, and we have reported the bug to Starfish.
What if I don’t see anyone listed in My Success Network?
Your advisor or instructors might not be assigned yet. Check back later or contact your college advising office for additional assistance.
Progress Survey Instructions
Progress Do's & Don'ts
What happens when a flag is raised?
Progress Survey Dates
- Opens September 7 @ 8:00 am (end of 3rd week)
- Closes September 16 @ 11:00 pm (Sunday following end of 4th week)
- Opens October 3 @ 8:00 am (middle of 7th week)
- Closes October 14 @ 11:00 pm (Sunday following end of 8th week)
- Opens January 25 @ 8:00 am (end of 3rd week)
- Closes February 3 @ 11:00 pm (Sunday following end of 4th week)
- Opens February 20 @ 8:00 am (middle of 7th week)
- Closes March 3 @ 11:00 pm (Sunday following end of 8th week)
Flags, ToDos, Kudos, & Referrals
Flags, ToDos, & Kudos
Referring a Student to a Campus Office/Resource
Within Starfish, you may refer to the following offices. Click here for instructions.
In some cases, the office will receive notification and reach out to the student. In other cases, it is just information to the student about the resource(s). When raising the referral, you will see the details for that specific office/resource.
- Academic Support (study skills & tutoring)
- Athletic Advisor (within Athletic Academic Services)
- Career Services
- CVIC at UND
- Dining Services (nutritional or dietetic consultation)
- Disability Services for Students
- Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities
- One-Stop Student Services
- Pancratz Career Development Center
- Student Diversity & Inclusion
- Student Employment
- Student Health
- Student Involvement
- Student Success Center
- Study Abroad
- TRIO McNair & Student Support Services
- University Counseling Center
- Wellness Center
- Writing Center
Sample Emails to Students
Sample Emails from Instructors
- Early Alert
- Midterm Deficiency
- General Academic Concern Flag
Sample Emails from Advisors
Tool Tip Sheets
Syncing Starfish Calendar & Outlook
Step 1 - Outlook Settings
In order for your Outlook calendar to sync with your Starfish calendar, the UND Starfish account must have access to your Outlook calendar and mailbox. Please click here to submit a support ticket to SA Tech. In this ticket, request that Starfish be given access to your Outlook calendar and mailbox. You can still use the Starfish calendar without this access; however, without it, your Starfish and Outlook calendars won’t sync with each other.
If using Starfish for students to schedule an appointment, you can include the following statement in your signature line in Outlook:
"To schedule an appointment with me, please login to Starfish @: https://und.starfishsolutions.com/starfish-ops/support/login.html"
Step 2 - Starfish Office Hours
Set up your office hours in Starfish. Instructions can be found in the Instruction Manual at the bottom of this page.
Step 3 - Starfish Settings
- Click on your name in the Top Navigation bar and select the Email Notifications tab.
- Uncheck the ‘Change to my Office Hours/Group Sessions’ box. You can leave this box check if you would like your entire office hour blocks to show up in Outlook.
- Check ‘Read busy times from my external Exchange calendar’ box. If you receive an error message, this means that your Outlook account has not yet been tagged (Step 1). Once it is tagged, check this box again.
- Click the Submit button to change your changes.
Step 4 - Calendar Managers
- To add student assistants as calendar managers for your Starfish calendar, click here to submit a request form.
- Too add staff as calendar managers, they must first have a role in Starfish. Please reference the Access to/Removal to Starfish tab below. Once the individual has a role in Starfish, instructions for adding a calendar manager can be found in the Instruction Manual at the bottom of this page.
Documenting Student Behavior/Academic Integrity Concerns and other Student Contacts
Student Behavior/Academic Integrity Concerns
Filtering by Student Attributes & Cohorts
Filtering by Attributes
- Attribute Guide for Majors, Minors, & Certificates
- Attribute Guide for Service Indicators (Holds) & Student Info
- Attribute Guide for Country
Filtering by Using Cohorts (ex. grade level)
- Make sure your Connection (Instructor, advisor, etc.) is correct.
- Click the arrow in the Cohort box to view the cohorts for which you have access.
- Select the cohort.
- Remember to unselect the cohort when finished.
Documenting Attendance in Class or at Events
Some speakers and presentations can be entered as Events in Starfish, to then be viewed, for example, by an instructor for extra-credit.
Access to/Removal from Starfish
Instructor & Advisor Access
You must first request access and be given access to Campus Connection. If you have not already done so, click here and complete all three steps to request access. Once you have an instructor and/or advisor role in Campus Connection, the same role(s) will be populated into Starfish.
- A role in Campus Connection is also necessary to be given access in Starfish. If you do not have a current role in Campus Connection, click here for these instructions. (Select the role of "NDUS Starfish" from the drop-down menu on the ConnectND Access Request Form listed in Step 3 on the form.)
- Once you have a role in Campus Connection, click here to request a role in Starfish. (If you or your supervisor are unsure of the role needed in Starfish, contact Shari Nelson, Assessment & Systems Administrator, Student Academic Services at 701.777.0562 to discuss the appropriate Starfish role based on your role at UND.)
If a staff has left UND or a department and/or no longer needs a role in Starfish, please click here to request removal of that individual's role(s).
Teaching Assistant Access
Graduate Teaching Assistants
If a GTA is an instructor of record in Campus Connection, the GTA will receive Early Alert and Midterm Progress Surveys as a co-instructor. If the graduate student is not listed as a co-instructor in Campus Connection, requests for TAs to be added to Blackboard will be forwarded on to the Starfish Administrator and these students will added to Starfish with access to the identified course. This access will allow the GTA to enter the appropriate flags/kudos manually. Instructions for adding these flags/kudos and the progress survey dates will be sent to the TA and instructor of the course.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistants
Access for undergraduate teaching assistants to enter flags/kudos manually should be made by completing this form. Instructions for adding flags manually will then be sent to the TA and instructor of the course. This access will allow the GTA to enter the appropriate flags/kudos manually. Instructions for adding these flags/kudos and the progress survey dates will be sent to the TA and instructor of the course.
Student Employee Access
Click here to request the addition of a student employee as a calendar manager in Starfish.
When a student employee no longer needs the role of calendar manager, please click here to request removal of that individual's role(s)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change how I am emailed by Starfish?
Starfish will email you a calendar item for each appointment and a summary of flag activity for your students. Use the Email Notifications tab of your Profile to modify details of how and when you receive these notifications.
How do I get more detail on a student?
Click the hyperlink associated with the student’s name wherever you find it to reach the Student Folder. (E.g. in the student list, on an appointment or in a progress survey).
How do I cancel office hours?
Cancel one occurrence
- Select the day from the calendar, and hover (don’t click) over the icon associated with the Office Hours on the desired day.
- Click the Cancel button and select, “Just this one” from the pop up Office Hours card presented.
Cancel a series
- From the Agenda view, hover (don’t click) over the Office Hours icon next to an office hour title.
- Select Cancel from the pop up Office Hours card presented. (If the day you have selected on the calendar includes an occurrence, you will have the option to cancel “Just this one” or “The entire series”)
Where can I find information about flags raised on my students?
The Tracking tab within the Students area lists the flags (and kudos) that have been raised on your students. Use the filters provided to filter your list based on your connection to the students. You can also go into the individual Tracking tab of any Student Folder to look at details of flags raised on that student. The details of what you see are based on your relationship to the student(s) and the privileges granted to your role.
Support & Training
Request Training/Presentation/Starfish Feature
Use this form to request training for departments, presentations to students, or the creation of department specific features (ex. ToDos, Kudos, Flags, Referrals, Appointment Types, etc.)
Submit a Support Ticket
Click here to submit a Support Ticket for general troubleshooting issues such as not being able to sign in, a feature not working, etc.
College-Specific Tenant Administrators
For college specific questions such as setting up your Starfish Calendar and documenting student contacts, contact the appropriate college tenant administrator:
- Colt Iseminger (email@example.comU)
Arts & Sciences
- Kayla Hotvedt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Yvette Koepke (email@example.com)
Business & Public Administration
- Katie Burns (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Education & Human Development
- Patrick Bulgiosi - Teaching & Learning (email@example.com)
- Kasey Young - Kinesiology & Public Health Education (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bailey Bubach (email@example.com)
- Jordan Eberhardt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Medicine & Health Sciences
- Shari Nelson (email@example.com)
Nursing & Professional Disciplines
- Jake Chaput (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Kirsten Zachman-Schommer (email@example.com)
Nominate a Starfish Champion!
Use this form to nominate an instructor, advisor, or staff who has used Starfish to provide above and beyond and/or innovative support to students.
- Katie Burns, Academic Advisor, CoBPA ~ Nominated by Connie Hodgson ~ "Katie is truly our Starfish Guru and is always looking for new ways that Starfish can assist us to be more efficient and effective. Her efforts help us be champions for our students' success."
User Manual (Instructors, Advisors, & Staff)