- Center for Instructional and Learning Technologies
- Tech Support
- Converting Files to PDF
A-Z Change/Forgot Password Current Students Faculty/Staff Guests and Affiliates Preceptors and Proctors Prospective Students
Converting Files to PDF
The following instructions can be used to convert files into PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format).
Many programs, such as Microsoft Word, already have the option to save as a PDF built in.
- Within the program, click on File from the program menu and select Save As.
- Select a location to save your file, enter a file name and then click the drop-down arrow next to Save As Type to view a listing of file formats. Select PDF if available. Note: You may also wish to save the file as another file format for future editing purposes.
For programs that do not have the option of saving as a PDF, such as Office 365 email, PC users can install a free program that allows saving as a PDF using the Print function.
- Download/install the free PDF printer at www.dopdf.com
- During the installation, you will be presented with the option to set doPDF as your default printer. Do NOT check this option.
- After installation, in any program, go to File then Print and select the doPDF from the listing of available printers, then click Print.
- The doPDF – Save PDF File will appear. Click the Browse button to specify the location to save the file and change the File name. Click Save when finished.
- Select the Open PDF in reader option if you would like to view your file after saving.
- Click the OK button when finished.
- The new PDF that you created should open automatically.
All Macs automatically have the ability to print as a PDF from any program.
- Select File and Print or click the printer icon in any program. Click the PDF button in the lower left corner and select Save as PDF.
- Enter a title in the Save As field and then specify where you would like to save your file.